The New Zealand Government has now introduced the Clean Car Discount scheme with the aim to reduce transport emissions to help meet the country’s 2050 carbon neutral target.
This will consist of rebates and fees for new and used eligible vehicles the first time they are registered in New Zealand, based on CO2 emissions.
If you choose to purchase a ŠKODA zero or low-emission vehicle, you may be eligible for a rebate. The lower the emissions the greater the rebate.
Fees will also be imposed on vehicles with higher emissions in recognition of the increased environmental and economic costs they are imposing.
Vehicles with moderate emissions will not incur a fee and may even be eligible for a rebate.
From 1 July 2023 rebates and fees for the Clean Car Programme will be changing.
Some of the changes are:
1. a special rebate for new and used low emission disability vehicles will be introduced
2. for new vehicles, the maximum rebate will decrease, and the maximum fee will increase
3. the threshold at which vehicles will be subject to fees will reduce from 192 grams of CO2 per kilometre to 150 grams.
Eligibility criteria is set out in further detail in the Land Transport Act 1998 and any regulations made under that Act.
In short, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
1. The vehicle must be registered for the first time in New Zealand
2. The vehicle must have a safety rating of 3 stars or more on the Rightcar website at the time of registration: www.rightcar.govt.nz
3. The vehicle must have been purchased for less than $80,000 (New Zealand dollars), including GST and on-road costs (the purchase price).
4. The rebate is payable only to the first person registered to the vehicle (regardless of ownership), unless the first person registered is a registered motor vehicle trader (ie the dealer you purchase the vehicle from).
How to apply
If you wish to apply for a rebate, you must complete the online application form, including reading and agreeing to the terms and conditions, which can be found here.
In completing the application, you will be required to provide the following supporting documentation:
• a copy of the vehicle offer and sale agreement (or such alternative documentation as Waka Kotahi deems necessary in the circumstances);
• proof of the registered person’s bank account;
• GST number if the vehicle is being used for business purposes
Clean Car rebate or fee information is now displayed within the model range section of our website. For further information on the New Zealand Government Clean Car Discount scheme please click here to learn more at Waka Kotahi or contact your local Škoda dealer.
• The above figures for rebates and fees are indicative only.
• Where we have indicated the dollar value of a rebate or fee for a vehicle elsewhere on our website or in our marketing materials, that figure is indicative only.
• If rebate funds are exhausted at any given time, no rebate will be paid. Once the scheme restarts, only vehicles registered from the restart date that meet the eligibility requirements will qualify for a rebate.
• While we do our best to make sure that information available on this page is accurate and free from errors, we do not guarantee its accuracy.
• The Clean Car Scheme is not administered by the Giltrap Group. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result either directly or indirectly from reliance by you upon the accuracy or currency of information contained on this page or any information published by any third party (such as Waka Kotahi) about the Clean Car Scheme.
• This page contain links to other websites (“Linked Websites”). As the content and maintenance of Linked Websites is out of our control, please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those websites. Links on this page to Linked Sites do not necessarily endorse those Linked Sites.